Google Groups

Re: [OMG] Re: Bridge Competition Rules

Dan Linder Apr 9, 2012 10:17 AM
Posted in group: Omaha Maker Group
On the subjects of weights, is there a documented order that the weights are applied, and by whom?

If there's a link just reply RTFM and I'll slink back to my hole. :)

In the past when I've worked with similar bridge competitions, the weights were hung by the  team that owned the bridge so any "dropping" of the weight to sabotage the test would be their fault.  The decision as to which weight to put on was up to them too.  And the judges required that the team member(s) placing the weights leave the weight un-touched for a number of seconds (8-10?) before counting that the bridge held the weight.

Sounds fun!  Hope someone takes photos!

Dan

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:47, David Knaack <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Eric Kaplan <ekap...@gmail.com> wrote:
I assume the "clean flat board" is for building the bridge support structure?

Correct. I plan for it to have a central rectangular hole 30 x 20 cm for the bridge to span. The board itself will be supported between tables/benches.

I've been looking at some ideas for weights for a project in my home shop.  If I come up with something soon, we could certainly use those, too.  If not, I might (_might_) be able to borrow some from work.  We have a supply of 2.5-pound weights from Sports Authority that we use for our in-house testing.

We have a fairly big pile of aluminum ingots that we can probably select from and modify to get close to the right weight.

DaveK

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"