Google Groups

Capt. John H. Putnam, Co. H 31st OVI - photo and burial info desired

Tim Jul 13, 2011 3:05 PM
Posted in group: Ohio in the Civil War
Anybody happen to know which cemetery Mr. Putnam is buried in? I'm supposing Chillicothe is the best guess due to his home being there at the time of death. I personally don't care much for the man seeing that he ditched the War effort at the end of '62/early '63 strictly because of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation but nonetheless he was in "our" Regiment and Company.
He died Dec. 22 or 23,1892 at Chillicothe.
A photo, if it exists is very much wanted. I haven't been able to turn one up anywhere, strange because of his active professional life.
Notable Achievements:
   - represented Licking County in the State Legislature for 4 years
   - represented Ross & Highland Counties in the State Senate
   - Publisher of many newspapers
   - Private Secretary under Gov. Allen
   - Consul-General to Honolulu, Sandwich Islands under President Cleveland
   - married Ella Gertrude Ewing, of Chillicothe 14th of October, 1867
   - great-grandson of General Rufus Putnam
   - son of General Rufus Putnam
Thanks.