Google Groups

Re: type_conv/ocaml4 release

Yury Sep 6, 2012 3:36 PM
Posted in group: ocaml-core
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <an...@recoil.org> wrote:
The warnings are due to unused variables, mostly (such as linux_ext.ml and the Epoll module having variables in there like 'let none = 0' which are unused).  It's hard to see how to fix these without conditional compilation, or just skipping the Linux_ext module entirely).

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that one. The fix there is to just remove line 669 in linux_ext.ml (that "none" value actually isn't used).

The warn_error=false flag in the environment sounds great, but isn't currently present in the tarballs.  It would be very easy to set in most packaging systems, so that's a good alternative to turning it off by default too.

I'm trying a MacOS X 3.12.1 compile now to see how that goes...

-anil

On 6 Sep 2012, at 15:21, Yury Sulsky <yury....@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Anil, I'll fix the packages to disable the warnings-as-errors. In the meantime, you should be able to build with "warn_error=false" in your environment.
Aside from that, what warnings are you encountering?

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <an...@recoil.org> wrote:
On 8 Jul 2012, at 19:02, Markus Mottl <markus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <an...@recoil.org> wrote:
>> Also, is it necessary to have warnings-are-errors enabled in the released tarballs? It makes it awkward to test out new compiler versions, which usually introduce new ones every release.
>
> I agree with Anil that warnings-as-errors should not be enabled in
> releases, only during development work.

The latest pre-release Core tarballs also fail to compile under Homebrew/MacOS X (OCaml-4.00) due to warnings-as-errors still being activated on release tarballs.  Have you considered disabling this on release tarballs?

-anil