Google Groups

Re: [oalug] Utopia - was Meeting May 29th, Presenters needed

Jonathan Karras May 29, 2012 7:12 PM
Posted in group: Ogden Area Linux Users Group
Just guessing but it probably has more to do with Utopia having almost
all of Layton under construction these days. It seems like you can't
turn around without seeing a directional boring machine or 5 in use. I
imagine its because there is already utility permits out to the Utopia
contractors that would conflict with routes Comcast would want to
take. Once work is done in a location of conflict they will probably
issue new permits. Just assuming here. I know Comcast ran new fiber to
my place of employment in Layton just last November.

Also if roads are crossed there are building moratoriums that
typically go from Oct 15 - April 15th.

As to the $3000 install price. If you take the 20 year payment plan
for about $25/month. For 50/50 (notice the upload) you can get from
Xmission for $35/month. So about $60/month and you get more upload
which for a business is going to be what you want. If you were to pay
the $3000 up front you would only be paying $35/month for that 50/50
service. There is an article that explains some about the install fee.

http://www.freeutopia.org/2011/05/23/further-utopia-installation-details

If you were buying Comcast business class services they would also
charge for build out of the fiber typically. That is unless they see a
financial benefit to installing the lines.

Jonathan