Google Groups

Re: [oalug] Utopia - was Meeting May 29th, Presenters needed

Jonathan Karras May 29, 2012 7:33 PM
Posted in group: Ogden Area Linux Users Group
Sorry to reply to myself but I finally found another link I was going
to include. This is mostly just informational.

http://utopianet.org/uploads/files/Layton.pdf

The link above is to a fiber map from Utopia's RFP site. The area
where service is available is where it was built out 5+ years ago with
the original money. If you live in that area now you can get service
today. Section LA003 had 4-5 horizontal drilling machines pulling
large amounts of conduit through it in early March. So work is well
underway. I do also know there was ~15 week lead times on the large
count fiber that Utopia needed back at the first of the year.

The blue lines running North and South are the backbone fiber
connecting Layton to the other Utopia cities. As you can see from this
map there was no further backbone fiber run in the city with the
original money from nearly 10 years ago. Now the new money that Utopia
is using right now to build out various locations is from broadband
stimulus money provided by the federal government to connect schools,
hospitals, libraries, and other government buildings. By using this
money to pay for backbone build out (in addition to connection of
those buildings) the expensive part of the network is built.

Jonathan