Google Groups

Re: [nodejs] mmmagic: async file type detection goodness

rocknode Apr 30, 2012 10:15 AM
Posted in group: nodejs
Can you tell me how event driven programming minimizing request and saving call to server.

In languages like Java™ and PHP, each connection spawns a new thread that potentially has an accompanying 2 MB of memory with it. On a system that has 8 GB of RAM, that puts the theoretical maximum number of concurrent connections at about 4,000 users.

how node helping us.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Nathan Rajlich <nat...@tootallnate.net> wrote:
-1 point for still using a wscript file :p

You're already bundling libmagic so Windows support might be easy. You'd need to start out with adding a binding.gyp file so that the module can be built with node-gyp.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
Super awesome!

I've been working on some mad science projects that are doing massive amounts of file detection. I'm assuming this will destroy the performance of my all JS hackery.

Looking forward to trying...

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM, mscdex <msc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I recently needed a way to do file type detection/inspection, but felt
dirty using a child process to call `file` every time. So tonight I
sat down and wrote an async binding to libmagic: https://github.com/mscdex/mmmagic

Currently it's available for *nix only, although a pull request for
proper (read: builds with msvc) Windows support would be considered.
The only other requirement is zlib.

I expect to be adding support for raw Buffer and string inspection/
parsing in the near future.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Marak Squires