Google Groups

Re: [node-dev] proposal for new field in package.json (shims)

Marco Rogers May 4, 2012 4:40 PM
Posted in group: nodejs-dev
I don't think you and I are disagreeing much. I'm suggesting that you get something working and then build community support for it. The reason other projects would accept a pull request from you for this is because it's useful and they see other people rallying behind the idea.

The only reason I mention npm is that it's arguably the most important consumer of package.json and you shouldn't do anything to screw up the conventions already in place. Other than that, it's a non-issue.

As for the bikeshedding, I was trying to make a point. Go with whatever you want, but if you want consensus, you're gonna have to deal with other people's opinions. Getting something working first is a good way to head that off.

Also, just because you can't think of another environment doesn't mean there aren't any. I can think of a few off the top of my head: Desktop environments like Adobe AIR, Browser extension environments (which are a huge pain in the ass), mobile app environments (e.g. Cordova). Right now it may seem like YAGNI, but it doesn't take much to allow some flexibility for the (near) future. JS is everywhere now.

:Marco

On Friday, May 4, 2012 3:03:01 PM UTC-7, Roman Shtylman wrote:
I don't see what npm has to do with this. Package.json is the goto
place for module information (not just for npm). I think creating a
"de facto" standard would be very presumptuous of me. Why would
projects like socket.io or browserify accept my random patches to add
things to their package.json file when anyone else could come along
and decide they want to call it something else? I think it would be
very who of us to not only decide on something we can encourage
package authors to use (and thus accept pull requests for) but also
encourage this behavior. It would be quite remiss to not realize that
all of this js code people are writing has applications for server and
client and provide reasonable and well documented ways to make that
happen.

While I do love me some good bike shedding (I would like mine yellow
please), I can't help but think the example just complicates the
matter. I can't think of any other "environments" currently besides
client and server (but am ready to be wrong on this). Also, the word
shim was chosen since it succinctly conveys the meaning of the action,
but again if others feel very strongly on the matter then another word
would do just fine.

I realize I could have just pushed anything out there, but the goal
with discussing this is to get community support behind a reasonable
way to do it so that our package.json files don't become bloated
messes. Like I said, server side js in a unique position here and I
think we should capitalize on it ;)