Google Groups

Re: [node-dev] proposal for new field in package.json (shims)

Mariusz Nowak May 6, 2012 3:07 AM
Posted in group: nodejs-dev
I agree with Marco, it's rather Browserify (or any other similar bundler) part to make use of that section, just for Node.js or npm it's just extra baggage they don't need.

Other important thing, shim settings should rather be configured per module not per package. Modules across package may have different shim dependencies and in your project you may use just some modules from a package.

--
Mariusz Nowak

On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:30:39 PM UTC+2, Marco Rogers wrote:
Yeah I was thinking this sounds like an important use case. But it's really taking something that should be a configuration feature of browserify and trying to make it a "spec". That's not bad, because it's not just browserify that could use this. It's really for any component that wants to deliver node modules to the client. And having a bunch of interested parties agree on what that looks like would make more sense than everyone doing something different. The problem with this is that deciding on the look of it invites bikeshedding. For example :) ...

I've always hated the term shim, and this could also be used for providing multiple alias definitions for different environments. So I'd be interested in something like this.

aliases: {
    browser: {
        ws: "browser-ws"
    }
    , somethingElse: {
    }
}

That said. I don't feel strongly about any of this. I agree with Isaac that as long as you don't step on what are already "de facto" standards via npm, then do what you like and get it working. Then other people can pick it up and you'll have your own de facto standard.

:Marco

On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:19:16 AM UTC-7, Isaac Schlueter wrote:
Any field mentioned in `npm help json`, or starting with a _, is
npm's, and you may not have it.

That aside, if you want to add arbitrary fields to your package.json
files, then feel free.  It's very rare that we add new package.json
features to npm these days (peerDependencies is on the todo list, but
I can't think of any others), and I usually check
http://registry.npmjs.org/-/fields before adding any others, to make
sure they're not already in use.

"shims" sounds like a fine and useful feature for modules like
browserify and others, but npm will not do anything with it.  "I want
to use module X but I want to call it Y" is not something that I'm
interested in supporting.