Google Groups

Re: Android/ARM Firefox Perforamance: where we are and where to go

Mark Finkle Aug 25, 2011 2:30 PM
Posted in group: mozilla.dev.planning
On 08/25/2011 05:11 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2011, at 21:55, Mark Finkle wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that Mozilla changes the way we develop the platform. Instead of developing platform changes first on desktop and then trickling down to mobile, we should reverse that.
>>
>> We should have all platform development happen first using mobile hardware (tablets and phones). So all initial coding, profiling and debugging happens on mobile. Once the code passes the quality and performance levels needed for mobile, we can then get desktop implementations ready (where separate desktop impls are actually needed).
>
> Interesting approach!
>
> Offhand, I do have a couple reservations, though... Are the mobile development tools (coding and debugging environments, profiling tools, etc) really up to the level where we could do this without seriously impacting developer productivity?

debugging is getting better, but only got better when platform devs
focused on making it better. Profiling is the same way. Work is being
done related to B2G for profiling and I think this could be moved faster
with the extra focus and support fo dozens of devs.

 > Also, I think the experience of "dogfooding" our own builds,
including our own work-in-progress patches, provides significant
"instant feedback" to platform developers - do you expect that we'd all
switch to using mobile devices as our primary web-browsing environments?
If not, we'd lose much of that hands-on real-life experience.

This is certainly true, but we need to start the process somewhere.
Trying to do any amount of "living" on your tablet would be a great
improvement to our current dogfooding and would find a lot of low
hanging fruit.