Google Groups

Re: Licesning and distribution

jm Apr 28, 2012 7:06 AM
Posted in group: mongodb-user
There are some storage size limits with 32bit systems. Approximately
2GB, but this includes the overhead, so the actual data you can safely
store is, I don't know, it depends. --smallfiles might help with that.
Also, journaling is by default disabled on 32bit.. if you want to
enable it (probably you want to minimize any issues with unclean
shutdowns/crashes), it will increase the overhead which I think means
even less storage. Sure this might not be an issue if you only store
small amounts.

http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/FAQ#FAQ-Whatarethe32bitlimitations%3F

If you don't need any advanced querying and stuff, using some BSON
libraries sounds good. If your app only needs to occasionally load and
save a specific savefile to memory/disk, I would definitely go for the
filesystem.. the format could be BSON or, whatever works best. I have
no experience on using BSON without mongo, but I believe it'll work
well.

If you want to query/update the "savefiles" on the fly (use it like a
database), dynamically load some world data etc. and if you are OK
with the overhead, and you know you store less than, say, 1GB on 32bit
systems, a mongo instance might be a nice option. Then again, if your
dataset is less than, say, 100-200MB, you might be better off just
keeping it in RAM in some Java structure, no need for mongo server.