Google Groups

Meeting 5/22

Martin Grider May 18, 2012 12:50 PM
Posted in group: MN Mobile Game Developers
Hey everyone,

I'm starting a new meeting here in Minneapolis devoted to Mobile Game Development. The current plan is to meet the fourth Tuesday of every month, starting next Tuesday, 5/22. The focus will be on two things primarily: game design for mobile, and mobile game implementation, the latter of which can obviously cover a very wide range of topics, including graphic design, programming, sound, OS considerations, new devices and trends, etc...

Next Tuesday's meeting will largely be a roundtable discussion of the group and what we want to get out of it, but I'm going to put together a brief talk I'm thinking of as an overview of the "State of Mobile Game Design". Essentially sketching out in broad strokes the types of games being designed for mobile, and how they differ from and overlap with other types of game design. This is not really a topic I'm an expert in, but it's a topic I'm very interested in, so if it turns into more of a discussion, all the better. If anyone has a short topic they'd like to present or lead a discussion about, please let me know, or just bring it to the meeting on Tuesday.

The group will definitely have a focus on community and open discussion more than on straight-up lectures. But of course our goals and format will be one of the topics we discuss next Tuesday.

Obviously, I can't do it alone! There are already a couple of other people interested in helping organize (but if you are also interested in that too, please let me know).

The location will be the office of Code 42 Software:
1 Main Street, NE Minneapolis (in Riverplace, the entrance is off Hennepin and Main Street.)

6:30-7:00 - pizza & social time
7:00-7:15 - introductions, call for presenters
7:15-8:30 - presentations & discussions

There will probably be a keg, hopefully filled with Cider of some kind. And if there is interest, we may continue to talk and socialize at one of the many fine evening establishments in the neighborhood after the meeting.

Feel free to sign up for the google group (for announcements and mobile game discussion). http://groups.google.com/group/mn-mobile-game-developers

And if you can make it next Tuesday, please sign up on eventbrite: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3585824297

Hope to see you next Tuesday!