Google Groups

Re: [MakerSpace] WiFi networking questions

haveblue May 3, 2012 6:11 PM
Posted in group: milwaukeemakerspace
As long as the router has a different SSID and subnet (and doesn't know to route through the router covering the protected network), then I'd say yes!

As for reverting to stock firmware, you probably won't feel the need once you've tasted the power that OpenWRT/DD-WRT provides.  (running nmap on the router itself, SSH tunneling to machines behind the router, etc. are things I commonly do on my OpenWRT equipped WRT54G)

On 5/3/2012 2:22 PM, Pete Prodoehl wrote:

DD-WRT and OpenWRT are quite good from what I hear... but let's pretend I don't want to have to learn anything new (!) or break the existing VPN set-up, etc...

If that's the case, would dropping another wifi router in place, with a different SSID and subnet, be enough to do what I'd want?

My first thought is to get another router, experiment with DD-WRT or OpenWRT, and if it doesn't do what I want (or I can't figure it out) I can just revert to the stock firmware (I assume I can?) and go with Plan A. Or Plan B. Or whichever the first plan was.

Pete

On 5/3/12 1:53 PM, Have Blue wrote:
DD-WRT?  Bah!  Real geeks use OpenWRT!  (though I admit to using DD-WRT when I just need something quick-and-dirty).

At work, I have our Cisco access points configured with two SSIDs, each on a separate VLAN.  Back at the switch I break off the two VLANs to either our switched network (the secured SSID) or to a router completely separate from our network with its own external public IP (the wide-open SSID).

On 5/3/2012 12:34 PM, Chris C wrote:
I'll second DDWRT... you can also enable security on individual virtual networks which would allow you to secure(even via RADIUS if you wish) your private network against visitors so they would not have access to servers and such.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Michael Warnock <mic...@guildsoftware.com> wrote:
Personally, I'd install DD-WRT on your router (it's supported:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR3500L).  It allows you
to create virtual wireless subnets and individually bridge them with
your wired net (or not) as you wish.

~Michael