Google Groups

ECHO without terminating CRLF - was "Re: com1 input"

Al Dunbar Feb 15, 2002 9:08 PM
Posted in group: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin

"john miller" <jo...@millertransportation.com> wrote in message
> I have a device attached to COM1 which sends/recieves
> data. I have been able to send data using this:
>
> echo "command" > COM1
>
> How can I recieve the answer or result that the device is
> returning.  I would like for the for the data which is
> being transmitted from the device to go to a file.

In testing my previous reply to the above, I ran across a way to simulate an
ECHO without a terminating CRLF sequence using batch-only facilities. No
doubt others are aware of this, however, I have not seen it since I have
been following this newsgroup, so will post it here for the benefit of any
others who, like myself, did not know.

The command "echo.hello world" emits the string "hello world" followed by a
CRLF sequence. There are at least a couple of situations where this fact is
a nuisance:

    - displaying a minimalist progress bar.
    - sending arbitrary character strings to a serial device.
    - writing strings from separate commands that need to appear in the same
line in an output file.

The command that does this is:

    <nul (set/p anyvariable=string to emit)

The "<nul" pipes a nul response to the set/p command, which will cause the
variable used to remain unchanged. As usual with set/p, the string to the
right of the equal sign is displayed as a prompt with no CRLF.

Here is an example where this is used for a rudimentary progress bar:

    @echo off
    for /l %%A in (1,1,20) do (
        <nul (set/p z=%%A)
        >nul ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
    )

And here is an example where info is written to a single line in a file from
multiple uses of the set/p command:

    <nul (set/p z=hello) >out.txt
    <nul (set/p z= world!) >>out.txt
    dir out.txt

The dir command should indicate the file size as 12 bytes: "hello world!".

The strings output need not be literal, and can originate from any source
capable of creating a variable, simply by including a variable reference in
the prompt string:

    <nul (set/p z=sec min hours: %time:~6,2% %time:~3,2% %time:~0,2%)

/Al