Google Groups

Re: Why did Matt choose the name Mercurial?

Matt Mackall Feb 15, 2012 12:03 PM
Posted in group: mercurial
On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 19:06 +0100, Peter Toft wrote:

> Mostly to Matt Mackall :-)
>
> Historic interest: Why was the name
> "Mercurial" chosen initially and not the name
> MattMackallsSuperDuperVersionControlSystemWhichBeatsCvsAndSvnAnyDayOfTheWeek?
> :-)
>
> Yes, I have found
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0504.2/0670.html
> [1]

Shortly before the first release, I read an article about the ongoing
Bitkeeper debacle that described Larry McVoy as mercurial (in the sense
of 'fickle'). Given the multiple meanings, the convenient abbreviation,
and the good fit with my pre-existing naming scheme (see my email
address), it clicked instantly. Mercurial is thus named in Larry's
honor. I do not know if the same is true of Git.