Google Groups

Re: The "hyper-quantum" blog post

rns Sep 25, 2012 8:46 PM
Posted in group: marpa parser
My $0.05 on rephrasing:

"For the record, no autothreading or multiple cores are used in Marpa's parsing algorithm."

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:35:12 AM UTC+3, Jeffrey Kegler wrote:
Correction: Change

"For the record, Marpa does not do autothreading and does leverage multiple cores in its parsing algorithm."

"For the record, Marpa does not do autothreading and does NOT leverage multiple cores in its parsing algorithm."

-- jeffrey

On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:53:35 PM UTC-7, Jeffrey Kegler wrote:
I realize that my attempts to explain Marpa include the occasional
misfire.  I hope readers will put this down to the newness and
unfamiliarity of Marpa's approach to parsing.

If my recent "hyper-quantum" post seemed incomprehensible, the easiest
approach may be to ignore both it and the rest of this message and focus
on what is clear.  I know that my posts with code examples usually get
their message across more clearly.  Those take a lot more effort, but I
try to do as many of those as possible.

For those who refuse to give up, here goes:  In my recent
"hyper-quantum" computing post, my object was to encourage Marpa users
to re-vision the transition from deterministic parsing to
non-deterministic parsing.  I hoped to encourage programmers to see the
change in thinking that the transition required, not as a hassle, but as
an exciting challenge.  To do this I mentioned that it is EXACTLY the
transition you'd go through IF we had new non-deterministic hardware.

For the record, Marpa does not do autothreading and does leverage
multiple cores in its parsing algorithm.  Marpa is thread-safe in the
sense that N distinct Marpa grammars can safely be run on N cores.  But
parses based on the same Marpa grammar share data, and cannot safely be
run in multiple threads, or on multiple cores.

For all classes of grammar in practical use, Marpa achieves linear-time
non-determinism.  But it does this ENTIRELY in software.