Google Groups

Re: [manchester-mini-maker-faire-:48] Hackspaces [Game Jam] and ethernet

Andrew Dutton Jul 23, 2012 3:13 PM
Posted in group: Manchester Mini Maker Faire UK
Thanks all, I've got a crimp and some ends I'll bring along.

Andy

On Monday, July 23, 2012 12:23:44 PM UTC+1, George Ainscough wrote:
I've got some smaller switches, and quite a few medium length patch cables

On 23 July 2012 11:48, Bob Clough <par...@ivixor.net> wrote:
We have a couple of 24 port switches and a roll of cat5, but no crimp ends.

-Bob

On 23 July 2012 11:23, Andrew Dutton <andrew...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

This is a post directed mainly at the Hackspaces [and Game Jam].
We've manage to get a few of the ethernet ports made active in our "Hack Zone"/"giant hackspace"/"hackers reunited", what ever we decide to call it (ideas!?) where all the hackspaces will be, this is to serve two purposes; take the load off WiFi, and allow non WiFi gadgets to talk internet.
However like everything else in the 1830's warehouse the ports are up high! Plus there's only 3 or 4 of them.

So were asking if any of you guys can bring the following;  [hopefully you may have some old kit lying round]

1.  Ethernet switches, nothing fancy, preferably unmanaged, as long as there not running DHCP or other odd services they should be fine.
2.  Ethernet cables, various lengths, probably need a few to be quite long as they'll be wrapping round beams and over partitions e.t.c

I have some spare kit I'll bring along but the more the merrier! Quantity is purely dependant on your plans, at least one switch per hackspace is probably a good idea.

Thanks
Andy