Google Groups

Re: Hackspaces [Game Jam] and ethernet

John Beckerson (Senior Curator, MOSI) Jul 25, 2012 2:33 AM
Posted in group: Manchester Mini Maker Faire UK
Hi Hayden, if you wrote in the Call for Makers that you needed a hard wired port we'll have put you by one, otherwise you'll just have wifi as there are only 2 port clusters open as our IT team prefer not to open up the hard wired network if they can avoid if for data security reasons....  John, MOSI curator (j.bec...@mosi.org.uk)

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:43:07 AM UTC+1, Hayden Kibble wrote:
I'm not with a hackerspace, but I need an ethernet port and WiFi (iPad)
Will I be ok?

On Monday, July 23, 2012 11:23:35 AM UTC+1, Andrew Dutton wrote:
Hello all,

This is a post directed mainly at the Hackspaces [and Game Jam].
We've manage to get a few of the ethernet ports made active in our "Hack Zone"/"giant hackspace"/"hackers reunited", what ever we decide to call it (ideas!?) where all the hackspaces will be, this is to serve two purposes; take the load off WiFi, and allow non WiFi gadgets to talk internet.
However like everything else in the 1830's warehouse the ports are up high! Plus there's only 3 or 4 of them.

So were asking if any of you guys can bring the following;  [hopefully you may have some old kit lying round]

1.  Ethernet switches, nothing fancy, preferably unmanaged, as long as there not running DHCP or other odd services they should be fine.
2.  Ethernet cables, various lengths, probably need a few to be quite long as they'll be wrapping round beams and over partitions e.t.c

I have some spare kit I'll bring along but the more the merrier! Quantity is purely dependant on your plans, at least one switch per hackspace is probably a good idea.

Thanks
Andy