Google Groups

Re: Hackspaces [Game Jam] and ethernet

Hayden Kibble Jul 24, 2012 2:43 AM
Posted in group: Manchester Mini Maker Faire UK
I'm not with a hackerspace, but I need an ethernet port and WiFi (iPad)
Will I be ok?

On Monday, July 23, 2012 11:23:35 AM UTC+1, Andrew Dutton wrote:
Hello all,

This is a post directed mainly at the Hackspaces [and Game Jam].
We've manage to get a few of the ethernet ports made active in our "Hack Zone"/"giant hackspace"/"hackers reunited", what ever we decide to call it (ideas!?) where all the hackspaces will be, this is to serve two purposes; take the load off WiFi, and allow non WiFi gadgets to talk internet.
However like everything else in the 1830's warehouse the ports are up high! Plus there's only 3 or 4 of them.

So were asking if any of you guys can bring the following;  [hopefully you may have some old kit lying round]

1.  Ethernet switches, nothing fancy, preferably unmanaged, as long as there not running DHCP or other odd services they should be fine.
2.  Ethernet cables, various lengths, probably need a few to be quite long as they'll be wrapping round beams and over partitions e.t.c

I have some spare kit I'll bring along but the more the merrier! Quantity is purely dependant on your plans, at least one switch per hackspace is probably a good idea.

Thanks
Andy