Google Groups

Re: [makersalliance] Embedded Electronics Classes/Kits for Ingenuity

Joe ODonnell Aug 31, 2012 9:54 AM
Posted in group: Makers' Alliance
 Woops, I mixed up that megawing add on board with the Papilio FPGA board. We Don't need the add on board to start learning with the $50 Papilio board, though the add on board and free book sound like an ideal beginner package.

 If we did get 1 Papilio and 1 megawing, we could set up a nice educational display showing how high school students can work on their own stand alone video game system. We would just load the Arduino emulator and get it to output a test pattern minimally controlled by a joystick. So by doing that we would obtain a beginner oriented FPGA system while also educating and entertaining the ingenuity audience.

 A second device which would educate and entertain both us and the igenuity audience, is this $40 6 degrees of freedom position sensor:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11028

This sensor can be used with well established persistence of vision projects to make more precise and readable displays, such as an upgraded version of this:
http://hacknmod.com/hack/tiny-diy-persistence-of-vision-project/

My plan for the festival would be to use the sensor to replace spin timing with manual shaking as above with this simple project:
http://www.43oh.com/2010/09/launchpad-pov-air-your-message/

 This sensor is also the most inexpensive position sensor that is capable of providing full 3d movement feedback for robots and drones. In other words if we want to build a decent drone some day we need this sensor.

I think the drawduino looks like a great, inexpensive project, which despite it's name doesn't require the arduino. The speaker could also be used for a cheap and easy backup/additional optical thermin project for either the arduino, msp430 or stellaris:

http://blog.suspended-chord.info/2010/09/24/launchpad-based-glitchamin-take-2

The Stellaris is a new $5 launchpad board with an advanced 32 bit chip, 40+ gpio, etc,etc. Most Arduino's are 8 bit.

 I think by spreading the budget around a bit, will will increase our chances of having at least one both popular and workable project, while also educating both ourselves and the public in new areas.  That would maximize the benefit to both ourselves, the audience and future audiences.

 To reduce the cost of the drawduino, we could just go with perf board, and hand out wiring diagrams printouts. That also avoids the chance of not getting the pcb back in time.

 So here is my suggested budget, to maximize both our own and the audiences 'learning bang for the buck':

Learn to Solder Skill Badge Kit
150 for $275 including shipping.

EMSL Diavolino (w/6&8pin header set)
50@12.50 w/headers & 3AA battery holder ($620)

Adafruit FTDI Friend -
5@$15 each ($75)

Parts-Express
Stahl Tools SSVT Soldering Station (we already have 6 of these already)
6@$15.98  = $95.88

60/40 solder, 1 lb
2@$23.49 =46.98

Tip cleaner
$8.48

-Total cost so far: a bit less than $1110

1 Papilia + 1 mega wing + free FPGA book= $90

6 DOF position sensor=$40

TI MSP430 FRAM development board=$30
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MSP-EXP430FR5739/296-28530-ND/2642721?cur=USD
-FRAM is similar to having a fast solid state disk drive on an embedded chip, and is a new technology. Thus by working with this board one can do things that literally haven't been done before.

4 Stellaris development boards= $5 x 4 = $20
http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-lm4f120xl
-This is roughly equal to a low end 486 computer with 64KB of memory, with GPIO,PWM,IW,etc for only $5. This is also a new device. Imagine the possibilities of an embedded rasberry pi computer with just less memory for a few dollars.

15 MSP430G2 chips at $2 each=$30
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MSP430G2452IRSA16R/296-28129-1-ND/2514242
These are similar to the Arduino with a 16 bit upgrade and cost $2 instead of $15+. That price is cheap enough that for example one could use one chip per servo in robot projects for much greater control.

-Cost of above $210. Only $210 for 5 cutting edge technologies most of us haven't worked with yet, 2 of which where just released.

-Total cost: $1110 + $220= $1330

We can than spend $300 on the drawduino project using perfboard + additional sensors like cds, which would equal about 100 or more kits plus material for many optical thermins (which can be set up on both Arduino and MSP chips), bringing the total to $1630. Leaving $170 for incidentals.

Joe