Google Groups

Re: [makersalliance] Embedded Electronics Classes/Kits for Ingenuity

Paul Froggy Schneider Aug 29, 2012 1:22 PM
Posted in group: Makers' Alliance
I may be able to help with batteries to save you some money.  Let me know what size and about how many and I'll let you know what I can donate.

- Paul

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Sam Harmon <samuel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, here is my "mostly readymade" submission of a plan for the Ingenuity kits:

This plan gets us:
A- a really quick & easy to put together thing that is cheap ($1.50 each in quantity, can sell for $2-$3, or just in exchange for a donation or something)
B- An "Arduino Enough" thing that hopefully keeps us in the spirit and close enough to the letter of what we're supposed to be doing. If no one buys them, we'll have a bunch of extra Arduinos to do workshops and crazy stuff with in the future…
Also: If people really want a morse code blinky thing: http://brainwagon.org/2009/11/14/another-try-at-an-arduino-based-morse-beacon/ - which will blink the Diavolino's built-in LED.
C- Some additional tools so people can put these together about a dozen at a time...

Learn to Solder Skill Badge Kit
http://www.makershed.com/Learn_to_Solder_Skill_Badge_Kit_p/mkls01.htm
250 for $375 (+ $5 shipping), ships in 1-2 business days from California (time to receive  1 week-10 days?)

TOTAL FROM MAKERSHED: $380

EMSL Diavolino (w/6&8pin header set)
http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/180-diavolino
75@12.50 w/headers & 3AA battery holder ($937.50)

Adafruit FTDI Friend - Not really for us to sell, just so we can program the Diavolinos a few at a time, and maybe cope with one or two walking off...
http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/accessories/210
10@$15 each ($150)

TOTAL FROM EMSL=$1087.50 (Free Shipping over $75, time to receive 1 week-10 days?)

Parts-Express
Stahl Tools SSVT Soldering Station (we already have 6 of these already)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=374-100
6@$15.98  = $95.88
60/40 solder, 1 lb
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=370-032
2@$23.49 = 46.98
Tip cleaner
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=341-223
$8.48
TOTAL FROM PARTS EXPRESS: $162.69  (7.5% Ohio sales tax, free shipping, total time to receive 1-2 business days)

TOTAL COST: $1630.19, leaving us with about $170 for incidentals (AA batteries for the Diavolinos?, more tools? anything else?)

That's my thought, anyway.

Sam