Google Groups

Re: [Learning Registry: Collaborate] Re: Standards alignment to standards alignment in LR via data services

Steve Midgley Mar 19, 2012 7:32 PM
Posted in group: Learning Registry: Collaborate
Hi Pat,

I'm not sure what you mean by topology -- do you mean like network graphs? (I know how to string those words together and pretend that there is math(s) underneath that I understand).

On your second point, we are working on making a data service to go from a curricular standard to one or more pieces of content, and vice versa. But this point is about going from one curricular standard to one or more other equivalent curricular standards.

Already groups like Academic Benchmarks do this for complex standards like connecting California content standards to Texas content standards, etc (two sets of standards which are not that similar). That's too hard for a small OSS operation like LR. But this proposal is just to connect "identical" standards, rather than "similar" standards (as TX and CA are just similar).

For US Common Core standards, there are several sets of identifiers that are being used across the country and it seems handy to be able to simply convert one ID into another that represents the same thing.. In abstract terms if the standards database looks like:

X=Y
X=Z
Z=A
B=C

"Show me all standards equivalent to Z" returns {A,X,Y}

We're still very interested in paradata, but in the early days now to drive adoption, we are focusing narrowly on standards alignment and maybe this new idea of standards-standards conversion. I think California is also sharing "real" paradata in the forms of ratings today..

Steve

On 3/19/2012 6:34 PM, Patrick...@googlemail.com wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering how much of this can be answered with topology?

I could see a state's LR node matching their standards for content.

Then states with common ground for standards could agree to cross harvest / pollinate / plough / assorted words of a farming nature?

In Limey land we have exam boards, but they aren't state wide (our states are "counties"). So a county's educational team will take an exam board, and that is taught. There is a national curriculum as well. And I think now we've got a right wing government some schools can opt out of all of this and teach what ever they like, which usually means they won't teach evolution.

This site  http://psychexchange.co.uk/  gives a good example (OCR is an exam board).

I'd bet there is quite a lot of paradata there as well.

Pat

On Sunday, 18 March 2012 22:38:42 UTC, Steve Midgley wrote:
I've been talking with a few states and Brandt Redd at Gates Foundation
about a problem that is emerging around standards alignment. Our current
work on data services for finding alignment between resources and
standards is very useful (and seems to be well received by the states
I've talked with). As a result of our work on that problem, we might use
LR to fix this new problem..

The emerging problem is that there are many ways to talk about the same
curricular standard. So there exists for common core a canonical
English-language (non-machine readable) standard defined by the CCSS
consortia. Say this one for ELA:

http://www.corestandards.org/the-standards/english-language-arts-standards/reading-foundational-skills/grade-2/#rf-2-1

ASN has the same standard here:

http://asn.jesandco.org/resources/S2364828

Academic Benchmarks has a GUID to describe this same standard, and
Massachusetts has created some internal GUIDs as well. There are
probably others! And there are valid business models and reasons why not
everyone is going to a universal single standard URL, at least not right
away (just recoding the database might be a pain). Of course we all want
them to link to the same resources, but right now it's not even very
easy to figure out which standard is the same as another standard..
Given that in LR it's pretty easy to say stuff like:

This thing is the "verb" of that thing.

Which in this case would be:

This "ASN common core ELA standard URL for rf.2.3" is the "same as"
"CCSS common core ELA standard URL rf.2.3"

With data services it's possible to ask questions of things like:

"Show me all standard URLs that are the same as
http://asn.jesandco.org/resources/S2364828"

And get back MA's GUIDs, AB's GUIDs, CCSS's URLs, etc. Seems like a
useful feature to get working in LR? It's relatively easy to implement I
think.. It seems very, very similar to our standards alignment data
service that connects standards to resources using alignment verbs
("aligned," "teaches," "assesses" etc)?

I wonder if this standard-standard data service should be the second
demo for data services or if ratings data are more useful? Creating a
place where anyone can register a correlation between on standard and
another standard seems very helpful for everyone in figuring stuff out?

All input welcome,
Steve