Google Groups

Re: Pre-upgrade Check for Major Version to Major Version

Nick Savov Dec 4, 2012 8:26 PM
Posted in group: Joomla! CMS Development
Hi everyone,

We have some really good news!  Thanks to the YouJoomla team, we now have the code for a pre-upgrade check for both the Joomla core and also custom extensions :)

We're hopefully close to getting this into the core, but we need your help testing and improving it.

Instructions to test:
2) Click Zip
3) Install it as you normally would Joomla
4) Go to Administrator >> Component >> Joomla! Update
5) Options >> Update Server >> Short Term Supprt >> Save & Close
6) Go to Extensions >> Extension Manager >> Update >> Purge cache
7) Go to  Component >> Joomla! Update
8) You should see the code that we have so far for the pre-upgrade check

To test your test extensions, add a compatibility tag as discussed previously.  For example:

Is interpretted as:

Joomla 1.5: compatible

Joomla 1.6: not compatible

Joomla 1.7: not compatible

Joomla 2.5: compatible

Joomla 3.0: compatible for 3.0.1 and up in the 3.0 version

Joomla 3.1: not compatible

Joomla 3.2: not compatible

Joomla 3.5: not compatible

Joomla 4:0: compatible

Joomla 4.1: compatible

Joomla 4.2: compatible

Joomla 4.5: compatible

The next step is to make sure the code conforms to the platform standards (, to fix any bugs, and polish up the features and text information.  Please send some pull requests for any of those tasks if possible.

Afterward, we'll release an alpha version and send it out to the Joomla General Development mailing lists and also to the Joomla Bug Squad mailing to see what everyone thinks about it and to get more testers.

Then hopefully comes beta, then RC, then hopefully get it in in time for 2.5.9 :)

Looking forward to your feedback and any help... hopefully in the form of testing and also pull requests :P

Kind regards,

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:56:55 AM UTC-6, Nick Savov wrote:
Hi all,

Right now, there's no pre-upgrade check going from 2.5 to 3.0.  This can make it very easy for users to accidentally update to Joomla 3, and also makes the process of checking System Requirements manual for the experienced user and the inexperienced user.  Automating the process and having a safety net, by providing a pre-upgrade check, would be very beneficial in my estimation.  Others also expressed interest in it at JWC (Joomla World Conference).

I'd like to, with someone's help (any volunteers?), create a pre-upgrade check for the Joomla core for going from major version to major version.  I'm attaching (see layout.jpg) a mock-up design of the concept which Pawel from CloudAccess drew up for me.

What are your thoughts on the best way to implement it?  I'd like it so that custom upgrade extensions, such as Admin Tools (, etc, can relatively easily add-in the functionality.  So perhaps an XML file could be used or an Admin Module.

As a last resort, we can just hard code it, which would be relatively easy to do (most of the code's available in the installation folder), but I'd like to see if we can think of a creative way to allow other extensions to "hook" in first.

Your thoughts?

Kind regards,