Google Groups

Re: RFC: Breadcrumb on steroid

Andrew Gray Feb 20, 2012 7:36 PM
Posted in group: Jenkins Developers
+1 +1 +1

On 21 February 2012 14:15, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <> wrote:
As per the discussion in [1], I implemented the enhanced breadcrumb.
The code is currently in a branch [2]. The screenshot is attached.

Breadcrumb is now sticky --- when you scroll down, it sticks to the
top of the page and never goes out of the viewport. Hovering the mouse
over it will show the menu, and when you move your mouse out of the
menu, it'll disappear automatically. The breadcrumb itself is still
clickable as it has been.

As you see in the screenshot, the breadcrumb now occupies more space
(or easiler access to the context menu), and it's bordered.

I'm not a UX guy, and I'm not too crazy about borders here (it appears
somewhat out of style with the rest of Jenkins UI, although foldable
sidepanel might change that.) With that said, I ended up adding it to
create a boundary for sticky breadcrumb.

Internally, it ses sidepanel.groovy/jelly to generate the menu
contents by default, which lets us instantly activate this feature for
all those objects that people have been writing. But model classes can
override this behavior and completely take over the menu generation if
so choose.

Future enhancements include submenus.

Does this sound like what we want? Feedbacks from graphics/UX guys
(and I'm looking at Manfred!) would be especially appreciated.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi