Google Groups

Re: EC2 Windows AMI owner

Adrian Cole Apr 25, 2012 8:07 AM
Posted in group: jclouds (DEPRECATED)

I'd hold off on SuSe as each id adds time and requests to all using the default ami list.  At least until some user asks about it :)

-A

On Apr 25, 2012 8:04 AM, "Richard Downer" <richard...@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
Yes, the new ID is Windows only.

After a bit of hunting around, here are all the owner IDs used, and the types of AMIs within, when I use the EC2 management console to list "Amazon Images":

137112412989 - Amazon Linux
013907871322 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
801119661308 - Windows
206029621532 - Windows (a couple of out-of-date AMIs)
206029621532 - Amazon VPC Network Address Translator
102837901569 - CloudFormation related

The Amazon Linux ID is in jclouds and is still there, so no change needed. I guess that last two are special purpose and probably shouldn't be added. Should we add the SUSE one as well? I assume that the hourly fee for the SUSE images will be higher to cover license and support costs, so the user may end up paying slightly more than they expect - but the same is true of Windows, too.

Richard.

On 25 April 2012 17:55, Adrian Cole <adrian...@gmail.com> wrote:

good catch.  Does this id only apply to Windows amis? If so, lets add it to the list.  If not, lets replace the old one.

-A

On Apr 25, 2012 7:52 AM, "Richard Downer" <richard...@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
All,

I discovered today that Amazon have moved all their Windows AMIs to a new owner ID - 801119661308. You must include this owner ID in the PROPERTY_EC2_AMI_QUERY to be able to see the Windows AMIs. For example:

      Properties overrides = new Properties();
      overrides.put(AWSEC2Constants.PROPERTY_EC2_AMI_QUERY, "owner-id=801119661308;state=available;image-type=machine");
      context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("aws-ec2")
         .credentials(getIdentity(), getCredential())
         .overrides(overrides)
         .build(ComputeServiceContext.class);

The old ID - 206029621532 - still exists but only seems to contain some out-of-date Server 2003 images.

By the way - I note that neither of these IDs are in jclouds' default AMI query filter. Is this intentional, or should I submit a pull request to add the new ID?

Regards

Richard.

Richard Downer • Lead Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation • http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com
Skype richardcloudsoft • Twitter @FrontierTown