Google Groups

Re: [The Java Posse] Re: Joshua Bloch joins the Dart team as core libraries architect

Cédric Beust ♔ Dec 12, 2011 6:59 AM
Posted in group: Java Posse
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Vince O'Sullivan <vjosu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Dec 11, 1:38 pm, Bruno Leroux <bruno.ler...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 'Gilad Bracha is promising Smalltalk-style edit-debug-edit-debug-cycles
> (without restarting the program)' :-)

Nooo!  I hope we're not about to move back to an era of experimental
coding.  'Guess-edit-crash-guess-edit-crash'.

:-)

Joking aside, Eclipse (and probably IDEA as well) already allows you to do this today. You can set breakpoints anywhere in your code and while in the middle of it, you can modify the code of the method. Depending on the impact of the modification you just made, either the process will just keep running happily or Eclipse will reset the frame (basically, restarting your current method from line one) and you can test your change immediately.

I think it's only fair to expect the same kind of functionality from Dart.

--
Cédric