Google Groups

Re: [BOB] Putting New Campy on my Recherche

Geof Gee Apr 28, 2012 6:15 AM
Posted in group: internet-bob

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Everett Volk <eev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heybobs,

My late-80s Recherche (made by Mr. Dave Moulton) has been sitting idle since about 2005 when, coincidentally, I busted my rear wheel and had a baby. Since then, I've acquired another baby (actually a proper boy, now), but I've done nothing on the Recherche.  I'm thinking it's about time to start working on getting a proper road bike running again.  But, if I'm going to do that, I want to put some nice, modern bits on it.  By this, I mean I'd like a new wheel set, brifters, brakes, and drive train.  And, since this thing is outfitted with late-80s Campy, I think I'd like to do it in Campy.  I've been away from the wrench for so long, not mention anything but utility biking generally, I'm finding the prospect daunting.  Soooo, I'm looking for advice.  If you had to buy the aforementioned parts (wheels, brifters, brakes, cranks, chainrings, FD, cassette), how would you go about doing and what model Campy would you buy?  Price is an issue (I do have two kids, ya know), so I'm looking to maximize value here.  Suggestions?

Ksyrium wheels?  Or something else?
Veloce or Record?
New or used?

Does the gearing of standard road groups work for you?

-G

--

"Sometimes I forget things.  Who I am.  Where I am.  Unimportant things. But I'm not insane. "