Google Groups

Re: [efloraofindia:117143] Pongamia pinnata

Vijayasankar May 20, 2012 9:32 AM
Posted in group: efloraofindia
Usha di:
I understand that the shape/structure of galls is determined by factors such as the plant part in question, stimuli from the gall-making organism and the response from the host plant.
This one is a leaf gall formed probably by Aceria pongamiae mite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PongamiaPinnataGall.jpg
The globose structures are probably of floral-galls as they are seen in panicles. I couldn't find much detail on net for this. Chitra ji may have a better explanation.

Here are some useful readings:
http://books.google.com/books?id=188UAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=pongamia+galls&source=bl&ots=XHVjCK4DVb&sig=WgGeNZYjvsdYFXUgAkpuNhVfXNI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4gu5T8z-Kq-e6QHpw6XwCg&ved=0CHEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=pongamia%20galls&f=false
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00222933308673760
http://journal-phytology.com/index.php/phyto/article/viewFile/10220/5194

Chitra ji:
My previous mail was a response to Prashant ji. I addressed to you by mistake, sorry for the inconvenience. You had clearly said that you "...really doubt if they have globular fruits...".

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Vijaya:
please bear with me, and explain... how come an infection has proper branching pattern and looks like they are replacing some normal structure like  a flower bud and bunches of them are hanging?? ..
I know these round things are not pongamia fruits they look like this see attached file...

thanks
Usha di
=

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chitra ji, those spherical structures are not fruits.
The following note from my book:
"Note: Two types of galls are commonly observed: one with elongated
swellings on leaf-surface, said to be caused by Eriophyes cheriani Massee;
and the other with globose, hard, 5-8 mm dia., spherical structures that are
often mistaken for normal fruits, reported to be caused by Asphondylia
pongamiae Felt. (Mani, 1965)."

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Chitra Shanker <chitra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I really doubt if they have globular fruits coz  this being pushed as a biodiesal tree a lot of work jas been done on genetic variability. May be its drying of flower buds. I seem to see scale encrustations on the twigs which could have caused the drying

Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)
Directorate of Rice Research,
Rajendranagar, Hyderabad -500030