Google Groups

Re: [efloraofindia:117153] pink okra ID from Hooghly 05-05-12 SK-3

surajitkoley Jun 26, 2012 11:46 AM
Posted in group: efloraofindia
Usha Di & Chitra Ji,

I am very sorry to say that those saplings, pictures attached here, are not Abelmoschus moschatus. I visited those saplings again and noticed that they have grown to blooming Hibiscus vitifolius L. as in - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/indiantreepix/Yk4fhIxo8eQ. ... :((

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chitra Ji & Usha Di,

Today i visited the place once again. Found three saplings, 6 to 8 inches high, that i think of the same species. But, before i proceed please let me give a bit more details of those saplings. Those three saplings were planted in line with a gap of about 2 ft each. It is as if they were planted by someone, but only three?!

Attaching the images of leaves from those plants/saplings. Please note :-
One seller is selling a plant named "Hibiscus abelmoschus sagittifolius" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hibiscus-abelmoschus-sagittifolius-Salmon-Pink-Flowers-Caudiciform-10-seeds-/170843422874 !!! Well, it was for science only, in no way for promoting the seller :)

Thank you once again and Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
besh bhalo argument and link...

but look at the leaves ... your leaves do not at all match the leaves in toptropical's pictures... shape, venation and colors of vein are all different...

usha di

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Respected Dr. Chitra Ji,

Thank you very much for the ID of this plant. Taking cue from you i have found description and images at - http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Abelmoschus_moschatus. Also learned that these flowers can be yellow also.

Later in order to take more photographs i visited that particular place a number of times but the plant seemed to be vanished. I also searched the surrounding area, there was no trace of a second individual.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Chitra Shanker <chitra...@gmail.com> wrote:
This looks like Kasturi bhendi an ayurvedic herb Abelmoschus moschatus

--
Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)

--