Google Groups

Re: [efloraofindia:114710] 26042010GS1 tree from Nainital for ID

Gurcharan Singh Apr 26, 2012 8:20 AM
Posted in group: efloraofindia
Thanks Vijayasankar ji
I thought they look different, especially the hanging inflorescence along with leaves. Let us see other views. I am novice regarding trees.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gurcharan ji,

I think this is not Boswellia serrata. It somewhat resembles Lannea coromandelica.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Tanay Bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sir Ji.
The tree looks quite like  Boswellia serrata as you mentioned.
Tanay

On 25 April 2012 21:38, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Having little knowledge about tropical and subtropical trees (except some growing in Delhi), I tend to mix them. This was the tree growing along Nainital lake and known as Bangar (as a local told me). The other tree identified by Satish ji as Lannea coromedelica grows common along hillsides.

Could this be what Nidhan ji suggested as Boswellia serrata, a very wild guess though. Perhaps two forms are growing side by side, one with perfectly green leaves and one having leaves with reddish tinge.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089