Google Groups

Re: [Minimalist Runner:115326] Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

el jefe Jul 14, 2012 10:29 AM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
i started running in a garden hat this summer.....loose weave straw, and i get it soaked before the run...i also wet my body before runs, and during, if i can.....the giant hat really helps....it holds moisture in the straw, and acts as an evaportative system.....the large brim shades the neck, face, and shoulders......i have to admit, after not wearing a hat for all these years, the large, light gardening hat has made a big difference in the high temps this summer....who knew.....here is the model i use, i think i got it at home depot for about five bux...cheerx, el jefe
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Minimalist Runner:115326] Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

I use JZ and Gordo's suggestion now, but not as often as I should. The major issue I had was relying on drinking more to regulate core temps. After all, that's the advice typically given. I didn't view overheating as an overheating issue, rather a hydration/electrolyte issue. Reframing the problem makes problem-solving much easier as core temp can be managed before syptoms arise.

Anyone ever try running with a giant sun hat?

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:11:48 AM UTC-7, JZ wrote:
Similar to Gordo's suggestion, Noakes recommends putting water on the skin (sponging) to help reduce heat stress.  I've been dipping my (moisture wicking) shirt into a stream about halfway through my runs lately.  I don't know if this helps reduce my core temp, but it certainly feels good.

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, gordo <gaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well for something like WS, laying down in the water for a few minutes at every stream crossing comes to mind. Doing that without wicking clothing might be pretty uncomfortable, though.

Gordo

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:39:36 AM UTC-7, Jason Robillard wrote:
http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/07/14/thermoregulation-and-running-a-cool-idea/

My ramblings on core body temp as a detriment to performance. It ties into the discussions about Waterlogged, and is an extension on the moisture-wicking discussions we had awhile ago.

The question- what else can we do to reduce body temps when the natural mechanisms aren't enough? Let's assume we're racing and performance is the goal.

--
"Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes..." hosted by Barefoot Ted

Membership Options: http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/subscribe

--
Joe