Google Groups

Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

Jason Robillard Jul 14, 2012 12:17 PM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
A solar chimney effect. That's pretty sweet. The clothing would have to be robe-like, though, which is impractical for racing.

I'd think thin, ventilated cloth that was white on the outside and black on the inside would be ideal for running in hot, dry weather. It would aid heat elimination via radiation, allow convection, and shouldn't affect conduction. Trapping air near the skin during heavy exercise would be useless because it would prevent evaporation and likely heat above 98.6.

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:07:01 PM UTC-7, runs_with_kona wrote:
I think the bedouins know a thing about staying cool in hot dry weather.

why do bedouins wear black robes ?

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-65287.html

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:39:36 AM UTC-5, Jason Robillard wrote:
http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/07/14/thermoregulation-and-running-a-cool-idea/

My ramblings on core body temp as a detriment to performance. It ties into the discussions about Waterlogged, and is an extension on the moisture-wicking discussions we had awhile ago.

The question- what else can we do to reduce body temps when the natural mechanisms aren't enough? Let's assume we're racing and performance is the goal.