Google Groups

Re: [Minimalist Runner:115338] Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

JZ Jul 14, 2012 1:44 PM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
> The core temps before and after the event in both groups were well below
> the level that would start to imply a danger of heat stroke.

I agree. The article does mention one potential use of the vest could
be to reduce heat illness, but I was more focused on the potential to
improve performance rather than decrease the risk of heat stroke.

This article,  http://jap.physiology.org/content/96/5/1867.long,
(which I also have not thoroughly read - so many words ;) ) states
that "The 5-km run time was significantly lower (P < 0.05) by 13 s in
V than C, with a faster pace most evident during the last two-thirds
of the run."  (V= those who wore the vest prior to the race and C= no
vest used).  Not a huge difference in performance, but it's something.

I have a feeling that the effect of the ice vest might have more to do
with the central governor than anything else (so the brain allows the
body to go faster, if the core temp is slightly cooler).