Google Groups

Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

Jason Robillard Jul 15, 2012 5:35 PM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
No idea, BB. I have heard of people complaining about sweat and sunscreen, but have never investigated the issue. Check out the comments on my post... some of my readers are proving some interesting analysis.

I'll be writing a post about running shirtless in the near future, based on the idea of thermoregulation and increasing vitamin D production as a means of preventing internal cancers.

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 2:33:38 PM UTC-7, Barefoot Bazza wrote:
This is really interesting, Jason (I'm sorry I spent a fortune on those fancy shirts...). I run here in Australia (Gold Coast) where it can get really hot and humid. Would sunscreen effect one's ability to sweat and regulate properly? I can't imagine that anything over 45 minutes under our sun without a shirt and sunscreen would be good. Or perhaps just stick with the cotton shirt?

BB

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:39:36 AM UTC+10, Jason Robillard wrote:
http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/07/14/thermoregulation-and-running-a-cool-idea/

My ramblings on core body temp as a detriment to performance. It ties into the discussions about Waterlogged, and is an extension on the moisture-wicking discussions we had awhile ago.

The question- what else can we do to reduce body temps when the natural mechanisms aren't enough? Let's assume we're racing and performance is the goal.