Google Groups

Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

Abu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 AM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
Hi, This is my first post, I hope I can contribute as this topic is close to my heart.
I struggle to cope with high temperatures and almost 30 years ago though that this would prevent me running a marathon. Since then I have run many marathons and ultras without a heat issue. ( beyond the natural "adapt pace for condition" criteria)
The following works for me:
Avoid all forms of dri wick clothing, including socks ( not really appropriate on this thread!) ! They dry my body and cause me to sweat more in an attempt to cool down and lead to dehydration and heat build up.
Cotton T's are great, you can wet them and they stay wet longer aiding cooling. We have to run in club vests and recently these were changed to dri wick and again I struggled , I now wear a cotton T underneath which I can wet.
I have long hair and keeping it wet from the start helps cooling. I was surprised when I had a crew for a change how I struggled. As my hair is thinning on top I have started looking at alternatives, bufffs, wet buffs, caps with vents etc and have not found a substitute yet.This past June at our local Comrades Marathon Expo I bought a cap with a foreign legion style with the neck piece in a moisture retaining material. The idea is to soak it and then have the cooling on your neck as the blood works its way to the brain.Sounds okay in theory but I have not had a chance to test it yet.
Asses the weather before the run and if it looks hot and dry start well hydrated.
I run with a water so that I can drink when required and see what I drink.
At our aid stations we get water sachets and these go over the head and I spray arms and legs.
Use it don't use it, not backed up by scientific research just some of my experience.

On Saturday, 14 July 2012 16:39:36 UTC+2, Jason Robillard wrote:

My ramblings on core body temp as a detriment to performance. It ties into the discussions about Waterlogged, and is an extension on the moisture-wicking discussions we had awhile ago.

The question- what else can we do to reduce body temps when the natural mechanisms aren't enough? Let's assume we're racing and performance is the goal.