Google Groups

Re: [Minimalist Runner:115335] Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

el jefe Jul 14, 2012 11:33 AM
Posted in group: Minimalist Runner - Barefoot, Sandals, Shoes
the elements of this hat that make it desireable above other is, very light....large brim for shade, can get it wet and it works as an evaporative on the head, cheap, draw string for wind, and to tie it to my waist when i want to take it off, and its weird enough looking that i get a second look from motorists, which makes me twice as safe..it works far better than i would have imagined in high temps...should have done it a lot sooner......el jefe
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Minimalist Runner:115335] Re: Thermoregulation and Moisture-wicking Materials; A Major Detriment to Performance

Nice, El Jefe! I can't imagine running in a floppy hat (the motion on my head muckles with my bludgeoned brain). However, a hat makes a big difference on my bike on long hot days (I wear a Tilley cotton hat, soaked as oft as possible). How you run in the hot and humid combo is beyond me. I ran a bit in it out east one summer in PA (90 degrees, 100% humididty), and ten miles felt like 20, with the last two miles feeling like twelve!

With abandon,
Patrick

It's all good (but is it the Best Good?).

i started running in a garden hat this summer.....loose weave straw, and i get it soaked before the run...i also wet my body before runs, and during, if i can.....the giant hat really helps....it holds moisture in the straw, and acts as an evaportative system.....the large brim shades the neck, face, and shoulders......i have to admit, after not wearing a hat for all these years, the large, light gardening hat has made a big difference in the high temps this summer....who knew.....here is the model i use, i think i got it at home depot for about five bux...<garden hat.jpg>cheerx, el jefe