Google Groups

Re: Notification - A new bot....that intends to help fix Map Maker - Plus Page inconsistencies

Jayanth Mysore Jul 24, 2012 10:30 PM
Posted in group: General Map Maker

Categories: General Mapping :

Hi Drift74 -

I did spend time with our engineers. Here's what we found. The issue that you are experiencing, it turns out is not directly because of the bot's actions. Let me explain...

The feature in question has some address components that are not visible in the Map Maker UI. In general, addresses can have a large number of components, which are needed for modelling reasons, but are rarely used in reality by people to fully specify an address. There are of course, exceptions to this rule.

The root cause of the issue here is that one of the sub-components of the address of the feature has incorrect data. When an edit to a feature that has the potential to change its address, we do an address validation check before committing it to the relevant data bases. A marker move, of course hence triggers this check. What is happening here is that the bad data (which we know NOW  to be bad), is causing the marker move to trigger a bad address warning/error (depending on the severity of the situation one of these happens).

Suggestion:
- Please use the "Continue with the entered address" option that you see  at the top of the Left Hand Panel for now.

- As we fix the data issue and change our logic to be more conservative about triggering the warning message, you will find that this nuisance goes away.

Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM, General Map Maker on behalf of Drift74 <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Jayanth

Any luck with these locality errors. Must I make a list?? It's almost in every thing I try to edit now.

On Monday, 23 July 2012 18:49:09 UTC+2, Jayanth Mysore wrote:
Hi Drift 74 - Apologies for the delay. I was not at work the last few days.
I will try to debug what is happening here. That error you point out bumps up my Blood Pressure as well.

Jabran, Richard, Flash, Saikrishna - I just want to thank you all so much for helping our fellow users so much. I feel like we have a great community. Your interest genuinely motivates our extended Map Maker team at Google and me to push ourselves to be more responsive and deliver a better product to you all.

- Jayanth

Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Flash <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Check that the locality is right.  If it is, then when you get that error you are also given "Continue with the entered address".  Check the box and save again.  If the locality is wrong, do a new edit instead of an undo and delete the locality.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)