Google Groups

Re: Notification - A new bot....that intends to help fix Map Maker - Plus Page inconsistencies

Drift74 Jul 30, 2012 11:48 PM
Posted in group: General Map Maker

Categories: General Mapping :

Hi Jayanth

I've been struggling with this locality error, almost every thing I try to edit just gives me this problem ( I know you working on this). To make things worse the items that I can still move into there correct location. The Mapmaker Syncer bot just moves it back 3 days later and then I can't edit it again dew to this error http://goo.gl/ZLbrM . Things like this get me down. When are you going to turn this bot off?

On Wednesday, 25 July 2012 18:16:37 UTC+2, Jayanth Mysore wrote:
stay tuned...I will let you know when the underlying data gets cleaned up.

- Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Drift74 <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Jayanth

I think I might have jumped the gun a bit. Only some of them are working and if you tick the box  "Continue with the entered address" it either times out or just goes back to the locality error. So I take it I have to wait for the engineers to do there thing.

Regards
Ivan

On Wednesday, 25 July 2012 12:03:48 UTC+2, Jayanth Mysore wrote:
Glad that you could complete the edits you intended to, Ivan.

Thanks,
Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Drift74 <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Jayanth

Thank you for that. I see the engineers are hard at work as it looks like all the edits I wanted to do I can now do. So they must have fixed the problem.

Once again thank you for your help. If I come across the problem again I'll let you know.

Regards
Ivan

On Wednesday, 25 July 2012 07:30:31 UTC+2, Jayanth Mysore wrote:
Hi Drift74 -

I did spend time with our engineers. Here's what we found. The issue that you are experiencing, it turns out is not directly because of the bot's actions. Let me explain...

The feature in question has some address components that are not visible in the Map Maker UI. In general, addresses can have a large number of components, which are needed for modelling reasons, but are rarely used in reality by people to fully specify an address. There are of course, exceptions to this rule.

The root cause of the issue here is that one of the sub-components of the address of the feature has incorrect data. When an edit to a feature that has the potential to change its address, we do an address validation check before committing it to the relevant data bases. A marker move, of course hence triggers this check. What is happening here is that the bad data (which we know NOW  to be bad), is causing the marker move to trigger a bad address warning/error (depending on the severity of the situation one of these happens).

Suggestion:
- Please use the "Continue with the entered address" option that you see  at the top of the Left Hand Panel for now.

- As we fix the data issue and change our logic to be more conservative about triggering the warning message, you will find that this nuisance goes away.

Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM, General Map Maker on behalf of Drift74 <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Jayanth

Any luck with these locality errors. Must I make a list?? It's almost in every thing I try to edit now.

On Monday, 23 July 2012 18:49:09 UTC+2, Jayanth Mysore wrote:
Hi Drift 74 - Apologies for the delay. I was not at work the last few days.
I will try to debug what is happening here. That error you point out bumps up my Blood Pressure as well.

Jabran, Richard, Flash, Saikrishna - I just want to thank you all so much for helping our fellow users so much. I feel like we have a great community. Your interest genuinely motivates our extended Map Maker team at Google and me to push ourselves to be more responsive and deliver a better product to you all.

- Jayanth

Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM, General Map Maker on behalf of Flash <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Check that the locality is right.  If it is, then when you get that error you are also given "Continue with the entered address".  Check the box and save again.  If the locality is wrong, do a new edit instead of an undo and delete the locality.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)