Google Groups

Re: [google-apps-apis] Re: Groups Provisioning throttling/limits?

Claudio Cherubino May 4, 2012 11:36 AM
Posted in group: Google Apps Domain Information and Management APIs
I'll need to double check, but in general Google Data API requests' limits are per user, so using different admins should allow to work around them.

Claudio

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM, David Spangler <dspa...@appirio.com> wrote:
Also, does it matter if the threads are using different admin IDs? Should we be using different admin IDs for each thread?

On Friday, May 4, 2012 1:24:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There were no errors reported in the driver.

On Friday, May 4, 2012 1:21:31 PM UTC-5, Claudio Cherubino wrote:
I don't think we were specifically throttling your app, but instead it might have been that our servers were overloaded.
Did you get any specific error message? We'll send you 503s if it is your app that needs to slow down the requests.

Claudio

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM,  wrote:
There was a period where the 5 drivers were working at the 1 transaction per second (for 4 hours), then there was a drop-off in speed (by half).  Does this indicate that we reached some limit?  If we add more threads will it also work properly for some time until another limit is reached?

On Friday, May 4, 2012 1:06:43 PM UTC-5, Claudio Cherubino wrote:
Hi David,

All limits are per thread so adding more threads should definitely increase the throughput.
Just be prepared to slow down using exponential backoff in case you get a 503 response code.
For more details, check our Usage Limits page in the docs:

Claudio

In addition, we are interested in whether or not adding another 5 threads will increase the overall rates, i.e. is the process for provisioning Groups using the same API actions as "regular" user provisioning, hitting the same services that might be affecting the limits?

In addition to the existing 5 threads, there are 5 threads that are dedicated to user provisioning and 1 for password sync.  Are these additive?  In other words, we would be going from 11 to 16 threads overall, would this help?

On Friday, May 4, 2012 10:30:14 AM UTC-5, David Spangler wrote:
Hello,

I have a situation where we are attempting to populate around 90,000 groups using 5 different threads against the Provisioning API.  When we started at 5pm last night, we had "expected" throughput of around 200-300 users per minute processed.  After 4 hours, the rates dropped more than in half.  Did we reach an API limit?  If so, is it possible to request a lift of this limit temporarily until all the Groups are provisioned?

Attached is a graph of what last night looked like.

Thanks for looking at this.