Google Groups

Re: [google-appengine] Re: FAQ for out of preview pricing changes

barryhunter May 19, 2011 8:17 AM
Posted in group: Google App Engine
Well yes, they have shifted the 'burden' but I see it in a different way.

The 'old' way, pretty much promoted low cpu use, even if that came at
the expense of latency. The slow requests, would necessitate lots of
instances - costing Google.

The 'new' way promotes keeping your latency down. Quick requests gives
higher queries per second (per instance). Meaning less instances.

By charging for actual instance usage, they are promoting keeping the
number of instances down.

So the developer should aim to keep the number of instances down -
saving money.

People who need, want, (or can't be bothered to optimise to avoid),
slow requests will pay - closer to what it actully costs Google.

Google dont want you spinning up instances, and tearing them down
quickly. Its that spinning up, that 'costs'. Rather then charge you 15
minutes 'overtime' they, could just change $0.02 per instance started
(as a fee). Same result.

(And in the shorter term, there is also compensation offered for lack
of multi threading/processing in python)