Google Groups

Re: The Amazing Story Of Appengine And The Two Orders Of Magnitude

johnP Sep 3, 2011 8:23 AM
Posted in group: Google App Engine

Which leads to a potential constructive suggestion.  Maybe Goog can
post a troubleshooting guide that lists different line-items in the
new-style billing, and potential gotchas?  An example in your blog is
that sudden parallelism is costly and that making things serial is a
good optimization.  (Ironically, the opposite of what was being
promoted earlier - mapreduce).  Another factoid is that offset queries
are costly.  Using queries as a generator is costly, and you should
fetch items at once.

So it can look like this:

Excessive instances cost?  Look at these items:
  - sudden parallelism
  - idle instance setting
  - decrease response time
  - other?

Excessive writes:
  - decrease unneeded indexes
  -

Excessive Reads:
  - make sure your fetch() rather than looping through results
  - check offset queries
  - etc...