Google Groups

Re: [google-appengine] Re: Google App Engine community support is moving to Stack Overflow

Johan Euphrosine (Google) Feb 14, 2012 3:26 AM
Posted in group: Google App Engine
Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Daniel Florey <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just realized that all the nice feature are already available in Google
> Groups. Checkout this post:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/google-plus-developers/n0i53XYAM8E
>
> You can see that the Google+ group has all the features enabled that we are
> talking about: Asking questions, rating answers, displaying best answer on
> top, tagging questions etc.
> So it would easily be possible to create a GAE group that holds all the
> questions with different tags (java,python,datastore etc) and still keep the
> advantages of Google Group (number of new posts in group overview, seamless
> integration into the Google experience etc.)

I enabled the new group interface for google-appengine group and
created a couple of tags (let me know if I forgot any):
python
java
go
python27
datastore
memcache
taskqueue
blobstore
channel
mail
users
backend
urlfetch
xmpp
files
mapreduce
protorpc
openid
storage
prospectivesearch
conversion
remoteapi

Feel free to use this when Stack Overflow doesn't fit your needs.

> The only valid argument left for the SO move IMO is that it may be a good
> way to convince java folks not yet addicted to GAE by flooding SO with GAE
> praising posts.
> As it finally looks like a "marketing" driven decision to me I'm out of
> arguments and will patiently wait until sanity wins ;-)

As Greg said, one of the principal reason for moving development
questions to Stack Overflow is to go where a lot of developer already
go to get answers to questions. I have never seen marketing content on
Stack Overflow and if there is any it is likely to be downvoted by the
community.

Hope you will enjoy the new group interface ;)
--
Johan Euphrosine (proppy)
Developer Programs Engineer