Google Groups

Re: [freebase-discuss] uploading images to Freebase using the APIs

Brendan Neutra Jul 3, 2013 2:59 PM
Posted in group: Freebase Discuss
David,

Image upload is not supported, nor is uploading images via freebase.com. Unfortunately, there is some old documentation that still references the functionality of the defunct api. The upload endpoint you found is non-functional and it is giving a misleading error (it should be a 404) I will correct that. We're not supporting image upload primarily because of the difficulties that arise with copyrighted images which has been discussed on this thread in the past.  I apologize for the confusion. That mql doc needs to be to corrected.

Brendan

Freebase API Team

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM, David Riccitelli <da...@insideout.io> wrote:
Hello,

In the Freebase API documentation [1] there's a nice example on how to upload images to Freebase, although the example relies to a deprecated library [2].

From the library web site, there's a link to the new documentation on Google [3], which unfortunately does not include any information about the upload service, which appears to be running here (sand-box):

I've tried sending an image using the Google API Client Library [4], unsuccessfully, receiving the following response:
 - 'status': '503', 'HTTP Upload Server Built on Jun 28 2013 13:27:54 (1372451274)'
 - {
 "error": {
  "errors": [
   {
    "domain": "global",
    "reason": "backendError",
    "message": "There was an error writing toFreebase blobstore"
   }
  ],
  "code": 503,
  "message": "There was an error writing toFreebase blobstore"
 }
}

Is the end-point URL correct?
What is the standard way to upload images to Freebase?
Is there a way to add images directly from the web site www.sandbox-freebase.com/www.freebase.com?

Thanks for your help,
David