Google Groups

Re: Getting only Tracker Statistics

Manoj Mohan May 9, 2012 2:54 AM
Posted in group: Fitbit API
Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the clarification. However, I am yet to find how or which Get-Time-Series call gives you only clean data.

I tried out the Get-Time-Series for the for steps from the API Explorer(a great app to play with data) and all it gives me is the steps that was listed in the summary for that particular day. So in essence all it allows for is getting specific activity related data for 'n' days together without having to make a separate call for each day. It doesn't give out anything different from what was already in the summary for that day. So essentially it seems that the computation that was used for summary is also being reflected in the Get-Time-Series data.

Is there any other method which you were talking about where I get only clean tracker data ?

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:20:50 PM UTC+5:30, Pavel Risenberg wrote:
Hi Manoj,

Actually it is more complicated and interesting topic. All the daily summaries for steps, distance, calories include both tracker and manually logged data, although we don't just add up the values, but manual log entries are prioritized and overwrite any data from the tracker for the same period of time during the day. That's why for example calories_total != manual_calories + tracker_calories.

Most endpoints reveal summaries in the described way, although there is a set of endpoints in Get-Time-Series category that allow to fetch only "clean" data from tracker.

– Pavel

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:46:05 AM UTC+4, Manoj Mohan wrote:

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:30:56 PM UTC+5:30, Manoj Mohan wrote:

I am assuming that a query for say Activities, the no of steps that we get in the summary is a sum of tracker logged steps + the steps manually logged by a user through the website. Am i correct in this assumption ?

Just a bump up to keep up the interest for this question. Can somebody help me out ..

Thanks

Hi all,

I am developing a fitbit based app that needs only the info submitted/synced from the tracker to build it's data set. I am using the Fitbit Java client to access fitbit data.

Firstly is there a field in Activities that would give me the Steps/Calories etc that were logged by tracker only. This should not include any manually logged steps/calories by the user.
Secondly if No ...  I am assuming that a query for say Activities, the no of steps that we get in the summary is a sum of tracker logged steps + the steps manually logged by a user through the website. Am i correct in this assumption ?

If yes ... The reason I am asking this is because while playing with the data through Fitbit Explorer, I found some inconsistent scenarios.

Case 1 : I have manually logged an Activity('Walking') and there are no steps that were collected by the tracker. While querying in this scenario, I found that while the ActivityLog had my entry for Walking, the Activities summary for  Steps had the same value as in the Walking Activity Log for steps. So i came to the conclusion this step value might be manually logged + tracker logged. Since tracker logged steps were 0, the sum reflected what i had in my Walking Log.

Case 2: I had both manually logged and tracker logged steps data. However the Activities summary for Steps doesn't reflect the sum of tracker + manually logged steps.

Case 3: I have no manually logged entries. Only tracker generated ones. However, the tracker does not specifically list activities like those that were manually logged. So i am assuming the the value in Actvities Summary have to be the ones that were sent through the tracker.

So earlier while it looked like Summary would contain manually logged + tracker generated, the case 2 contradicts this view. Can anybody help me in getting some clarification here.

Thanks
Manoj Mohan