Google Groups

Re: [EL-M-Google] Re: Direct add members

Skyliners Board Aug 16, 2011 2:24 PM
Posted in group: EmailList-Managers
Brandon, thanks for your reply, but there are many ways to get around the spam problem without ending the direct add.

Obviously, anything that differentiates the spammer from the legitimate list owner helps. Many of us who are concerned have maintained active lists for years. Any requirement that unusually large direct add requests come from owner or managers with a clean/no spam history will thwart the spammer while allowing the rest of us to continue managing our groups.

Google is completely unrealistic where it thinks the invitation substitutes for the direct add in the real world. This list has many stories of the tech-uncomfortable who will simply not "accept" an "invitation" to join a group. They then do not receive the information the group is trying to distribute.

Any efforts to find a solution or exemption are appreciated.

Lawrence

Sent from my iPad