Google Groups

Re: Check Framework Feedback

Curtis Maloney Feb 5, 2014 5:35 PM
Posted in group: Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
I disagree.

If a hint really ought be provided, but can be omitted in the right circumstances, it should be a required value.

This will encourage people to provide a hint, or deliberately omit one.

Seems more Explicit and Implicit to me... explicit intention to omit a hint?

On 6 February 2014 11:04, Florian Apolloner <> wrote:

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:31:43 AM UTC+1, Carl Meyer wrote:
> However, I can see how this might be slightly contrary to expectation
> for Python developers generally. I'd be interested in hearing other
> opinions on this.

I don't think there's a reason to require the argument; if `None` is a
valid value for the argument, then clearly it is semantically optional,
so give it a default of `None` and make it actually optional.

+1, Either make it completely required (eg don't allow None) or let None be the default.

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at

For more options, visit