Google Groups

RE: [DSM] Aims for a sustainable, democratic centre of learning and living

Derek and Jo Sheppard Sep 11, 2011 1:44 AM
Posted in group: Discuss Sudbury Model
Hi Brent,

Your question presupposes that we're taking on an external authority's definition of organic, and that enough young people will be interested to make the organic farm a reality.  I think most farming is about works best with specific land working with the climate.  As prospective continuing residents we want an organic farm, for our own consumption and income needs.  If young people are interested then we'd be more than happy for them to be involved.  There's no doubt that there's an opportunity for a School Corporation, if students wanted to take it that far.  We'd like to think there will be enough others interested to assist with the organic farm, but if not, that's okay too.  We do want to make sure it's "viable" operating business that derives income from supply, perhaps to the School / Democratic Centre of Learning, to residents and to the public, through a Farm Shop and direct to retailers on the Range or through local Farmers' Markets.

Regards, Derek

From: bre...@gmail.com
To: discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [DSM] Aims for a sustainable, democratic centre of learning and living
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:28:00 +0200

Hello Derek,

I am late to the party but I have a suggestion: rather than take on an external entity’s definition of organic farming, how about the kids learn and figure out what works for them, the land and the climate?

[I’ve never before mailed to this alias but I am a farmer and I did live in Australia.]

Good luck!

bc.