Google Groups

Re: musicbrainz?

djwhitt May 3, 2012 8:25 AM
Posted in group: Datomic
This is getting pretty off topic, but you might be interested in checking out http://camlistore.org/.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Eugen Dück <eu...@dueck.org> wrote:
I wonder if that has something to do with the 3rd one of the things that Rich said he has had time to invest sufficient thought into (http://thinkrelevance.com/blog/2012/04/26/thinkrelevance-the-podcast-episode-010-stu-halloway)?

musicbrainz -> tagging -> some kind of desktop search / indexing?

What I'm personally waiting for (as I haven't found sufficient time to spend into that yet) is kind of a meta-data-rich distributed file-system that would get rid of the one-dimensional way of structuring data (aka directory hierarchies) in blobs (aka files) that need indexing by desktop search indexers.

Datomic seems like a great foundation for an undertaking like that. What's missing for a really distributed system - but could certainly be added - is a means of merging "branches" of databases, e.g. when working offline (yes, there are still times where one wants to be or has to be offline, and if online because the "master" undergoes maintenance) in one "branch" and merge that back (and/or forth) when going online.

This all is speculation completely unjustified by the mere fact that there is an empty musicbrainz directory in the datomic jar, but why not dream once in a while?

2012年5月3日木曜日 15時20分12秒 UTC+9 Eugen Dück:
> jar tf datomic-0.1.3065.jar |grep musicbrainz
musicbrainz/

Only a directory, no files in it...