Google Groups

Re: Instantly gather and analyze Crunchbase data using Semgel.

Harish Kumar M. Mar 15, 2012 12:09 PM
Posted in group: crunchbase-api
That sounds pretty interesting Thomas!

With regards to the tech we use, we do incorporate quite a few of the semweb standands and technology components. (http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/). Semtech is most commonly used in two separate but overlapping contexts - one is in working with unstructured data (NLP, textual analytics etc), and the other is in working with semi-structured data. Its the later that we are interested in. From what I understand, it appears that you are working on the former.

Further, I would add that we at Semgel are primarily excited about the vision behind the semantic web - creating a web of data. The semtech stack in itself is often a secondary thing for us, a means to an end.

I would be happy to provide any inputs that might be useful for your project. You can mail me at har...@semgel.com.

Harish.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM, grudelsud <thoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
hey harish,

nice one. I'm really interested in the semweb technologies you're using, would you be able to provide some insights pls? I'm a technical guy more than a business guy, and presently working on a project that sounds quite similar for a startup in stealth mode. we're fetching and analyzing data using named entity extraction and dbpedia for concept expansion, and we're broadening the range of informations to other domains than startup / venture. what kind of technologies are you guys using?

thanks
thomas

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:18:22 PM UTC, harish wrote:
Hi,

I would like to introduce Semgel(http://semgel.com), a web app to
instantly gather and analyse crunchbase data.

Crunchbase is clearly a very valuable resource for professionals in
the tech sector. However, if you are need to do even basic analysis of
the data on Crunchbase, you need to write a bunch of code to do the
job.

Semgel was developed to enable entrepreneurs and investors make the
most of crunchbase data without having to write code. With just a few
clicks, Semgel enables users to understand the investment landscape
for a sector,research a investor's portfolio, study investment trends
for a city and a whole lot more.

When users gather data about a set of companies, Semgel creates a
database of all the data about the companies. Users can do anything
from build simple lists (list of people who work for new york based
companies) or do more interesting analysis (average 'a' round funding
for companies in a sector). Semgel also comes with a set of predefined
'views' which are all just a click away.

Do take a look and let me know what you think! If you have any
questions, just respond to this thread.

Thanks,
Harish,
Founder, Semgel.