Actually timed out logout does not add much security - it works only when you have browser window open. When I happen to browse to another URL in the same tab/window and return back to Couchbase even several days later, it does not ask for password and opens immediately.
Personally I would prefer the pane to be gone, I do soo much scrolling when developing views on my Macbook Pro screen, so its annoying to waste screen space with this feature at the top, - not to forget that its shows random data (and heights), so you
scroll up and down, up and down randomly.
But some people may use it, so why not just make it an optional feature controlled in the settings ?
And seriously, a system created to contain millions, billions of docs, and you have made the "Preview random document" to find the docs you are looking for "with a few keypresses" ? Hmmm, I guess the magic did not make it all the way to Denmark, as I have
tried clicking the button so many times, without finding what I was looking for, and my testsystem only have 4-5000 docs at the moment ;-)
What I think you should do, was to create a new "Document Explorer" pane, a place where you could do more that just search on a known Id. Here are som ideas :
1) The possibility to pin multiple / specific docs to this pane, so its easy to flip back to this page and refresh the content. Very usefull for developers when doing CRUD.
2) The possibility to pin multiple / specific views to this pane, with specific parameters and then refresh the result.
3) The possibility to click on docs, to view contents everywhere.
4) Maybe even a free text search on document names (could be so cool to search for everything beginning with "User")
I know some of this is not that simple to do, but what I miss from my SQL Server dev, is the cool management features.
I know that Couchbase due to the simple nature of the product, need simple management features, but I still think it could be so much better.
On Monday, October 1, 2012 11:30:00 PM UTC+2, Frank wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Tony.
How do others feel about the random document? The reason we have it is that often you have multiple types of docs in your database. It is really handy to just press the button a few times to find the type of doc you want, when looking for field names,
etc. Given that keys are oftne generated as uuids trying to remember specific keys, plus that not all keys will be in the slice for the developer view data set, made this seem the best way to quickly check the structure of your JSON docs when writing views.
Tony, would you just like a "enable/disable" on the default random doc being displayed, or would you prefer not to have the document pane up top at all?
I have a few comments to the webbased management console :
1) The timeout, why is it there ? I find myself logging in so many times during the day. Why not make the timeout customizable ? When I work with ie. SQL Server, no one decides to log me out, so I'm a bit confused why this is here ?
2) The "Preview random document" section at the top. How annoying is that!!!! Sometimes when you save your view, a huge doc is previewed, so you have to scroll the page to find the "Show results" button, and the fact that I cannot even think about what
the use for that "random document" is, makes it really, really annoying.
I hope you'll consider to change how the editor works.
Any plans to make an alternative manager, which is not web based ?