Google Groups

Q: Setting User-Agent Field?

Lawrence Page Jan 7, 1996 12:00 AM
Posted in group:
I have a web robot which is a Java app.  I need to be able to set the
User-Agent field in the HTTP header in order to be a good net citizen (so
people know who is accessing their server).  Anyone have any ideas?

Right now, Java sends a request that includes something like:

I'd rather not rewrite all the HTTP stuff myself.  I tried just searching
in the JDK for the Java/1.0beta2 figuring I could just change the string,
but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it is stored as a unicode string?

An easy method of setting the User-Agent field should probably be added to
Java, so people can properly identify their programs.

Thanks, Larry Page